Along with stories, I have for most of my life, enjoyed writing poetry. Some ok, some bad, some terrible, and once in a long while, a winner. You be the judge, and please leave constructive feed back.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Thoughts of the Grand Canyon



I saw the canyon, truly grand
And stood on the edge on the rocks and sand
Looked through the distance and across the divide
Amazed at how deep, and rugged, and wide
I saw in the layers, steps to the past
And far, far below, the river roaring past
I looked, and I thought upon ages long gone  
And thought of the people and their stories and songs
That they sang out to gods they feared in the night
And offerings to ones they revered in the light
I thought how life is a blink then it’s gone
And soon we are part of the stories and songs
That those who remain tell to the young
About who we were and all that we’d done
This canyon was heavy with the weight of the years
And heavy with the labor of life, death, and tears
I watched as the shadows crept up the cliffs
And consumed the depths and darkened the rifts
The sun slowly sinking cast the darkness below
And the red-black shadows continued to grow
I walked away thoughtful with my mind gone afar
Adrift in the desert breeze, beneath the eternal stars.

© James L. Frady,  August 20, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment