Along with stories, I have for most of my life, enjoyed writing poetry. Some ok, some bad, some terrible, and once in a long while, a winner. You be the judge, and please leave constructive feed back.

Monday, February 9, 2015

Ghosts I Knew

Ghosts I Knew

I live in a ghost town
Where ghosts of the past
Drift through my memories
A forsaken cast
Of specters and spirits
Of people I've known
They no longer dwell here
They've faded and gone

One was a soldier
Who stood straight and proud
He charged into battle
When the cannons were loud
A hero they called him
A medal they gave
And told of his courage
On the stone by his grave

Then there was Robert
So strong and so tough
Who you wanted on your side
If the going got rough
He went in a swinging
One Saturday night
But a man with a pistol
Ended his fight

A lady of darkness
Who held many men
She teased and she tempted
Again and again
She found out their secrets
She told them her lies
But nobody answered
Her pleas and her cries

They found her by morning
Face down in the waves
They laid her alone
In a cold empty grave
No more her laughter
Tempts or delights
But sometimes I hear her
On dark foggy nights

I knew of a gangster
With money and power
Who cheated and murdered
In the wee dark hours
With a knife or a gun
He was wicked and fast
But one midnight ambush
And he breathed his last

I knew all these people
And yes there were others
Who all walked with swagger
And contempt for their brothers
But they all found the end
Was bitter, not sweet
May the good Lord have mercy
When their maker they meet.

©James L Frady

February 20, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment