Along with stories, I have for most of my life, enjoyed writing poetry. Some ok, some bad, some terrible, and once in a long while, a winner. You be the judge, and please leave constructive feed back.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Fall of Night

The Fall of Night

I lie beneath the darkening sky
And watch the distant jets go by
I hear a screech owls haunting cry
And feel the approach of night

I look above at a waxing moon
It's nearing full and will be soon
The whip-o-rill sings his cheerful tune
To the swiftly approaching night

The stars at first were very few
But I laid and watched as the number grew
They filled the heavens through and through
As they filled the deepening night

Lightning bugs flashing green 
Across fields and forest  can be seen
Like jewels on some nocturnal queen
Ruling the kingdom of night.

A gentle breeze stirs the grass
Whispering of times long passed
And dreams that disappeared too fast
With the swiftly passing nights

I lie beneath a darkening sky
And watch the distant jets go by
I hear a screech owl's haunting cry
And love the fall of night.

©James L. Frady

5/11/2014

1 comment: